数字人文门户网站 Digital Humanities Portal
The LUCDH, Leiden University is looking for a PhD candidate in Digital Humanities
You will carry out research at the Leiden University Center of Digital Humanities at the Faculty of Humanities. You will be supervised by a domain expert from the Faculty and one of the assistant professors in Digital Humanities.
Your tasks will be to
- Design, develop and carry out a PhD project in Digital Humanities;
- Present research results at conferences and workshops;
- Publish research results and write a PhD thesis;
- Participate in the activities of the Digital Humanities Lab (under development), share digital humanities knowledge with and give support and advice to researchers and advanced BA and MA students;
- Assist in teaching digital humanities courses provided by LUCDH;
- Develop and maintain an active graduate community of DH scholars.
Candidates should have a relevant MA, combining expertise in one or more fields of the humanities with expertise and skills in computational methods for humanities research, including demonstrable programming skills.
The PhD candidate will be formally employed at the Faculty of Humanities and appointed at one of its research institutes. The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden and in The Hague. For more information, see the website of Humanities.
The candidate will be housed at the Leiden University Centre for Digital Humanities (LUCDH). LUCDH spearheads innovative research in Digital Humanities and offers advice and support to researchers in the Faculty of Humanities working on digital media and computational methods.
Terms and conditions
The appointment will initially be temporary for a period of one year, starting September 1, 2021. Upon a satisfactory performance outcome, the appointment will be extended for a period of three years. Salary range from € 2,395.- to € 3,061.- gross per month (pay scale P), in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at For more information, see the website.
We firmly believe that diversity together with inclusion is the key driving force for creativity and innovative ideas. We strive to create a working environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
Enquiries can be made to Prof.dr. Sjef Barbiers, director of LUCDH, email email@example.com.
Please submit online your application no later than May3, 2021 via the blue button in our application system. Applicants should submit online the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A brief cover letter motivating your interest;
- A detailed curriculum vitae including references;
- Course lists and grades;
- A list of your computational skills, including programming skills;
- A research proposal (approx. 1000 words) in which you briefly outline the thematic field of your research, your preliminary research questions, what your project aims to contribute to the field, and how your question could be operationalized.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.